Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Vegetable Pasta

I love pasta, in fact I'm a total carb whore...but I've been trying to keep away from the go-to red pasta sauce and noodles so I threw together this veggie pasta with what I had lying around my kitchen. Use brown rice pasta for a gluten-free meal!

What you will need:
1 pkg pasta (I'm partial to whole wheat)
1/2 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
2 portobella mushroom caps
2 cups broccoli (mine was frozen, so I steamed it)
1 cup cooked beans (your choice, I used TJs white beans)
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
2 TBS olive oil
1/2 cup vegan past sauce (optional, for extra flavor)
Italian spices (either fresh or dried)


1. Bring water to boil in large stock pot, cook pasta according to package directions. While waiting for water to boil, chop veggies into chunks. Mince garlic.


2. Heat olive oil in a sautee pan. Add onions and cook until soft and transparent. Add fresh garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook. Add more oil if pan gets too dry.


3. Once pasta is cooked al dente, drain water and return to stock pot. Add broccoli, beans, sun dried tomatoes, pasta sauce, and cooked veggies. Stir to combine all ingredients. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.


4. Add spices (I used dried basil, pepper, and rosemary), give another stir, pile into a bowl and enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. YUM! I'm another carbs crazy lil one, and I adore pasta!! And this one sounds amazing, so I really can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmm! I love pasta too! I adore brown rice pasta, it doesn't make me feel as heavy after I eat it ;) Thanks for sharing this, it sounds and looks delish! :)

    ReplyDelete