Since becoming vegan I have fallen in love with greens of all kinds. There are so many varieties and all of them rock. Below is my super easy recipe for sautéing up some greens as a side dish (also great as a main entree with some grilled tofurky sausages or tofu mixed in). These are super tasty, virtually fat free and a great source of vitamins A & C and iron.
Here is what you will need:
1 bag Trader Joe's Southern Greens (includes mustard, turnip, collard & Spinach)*
8 Tbsp Vegetable broth
1 small yellow onion (optional)
Garlic powder & Pepper (to taste)
*If you don't have a Trader Joe's near you, any fresh greens will do! I like these because they are pre-washed and chopped and I'm a lazy cook!
1. Start by heating a few tablespoons of the broth in a wok or large skillet on med/high heat. You can also use canola or olive oil instead of broth but I like to keep the fat low on these and the broth adds some extra flavor.
2. While the broth is heating up, dice your onion into small chunks. Throw those bad boys into the heated broth and cook until they get soft and translucent.
*Onions are completely optional. Quite honestly this was the first time I used onions and I'm not sure I will do it again. I've also used seasame seeds and fresh chopped garlic in this step both of which are super yummy.
3. Add the remaing broth to the pan then pile on the greens. It will look like a ton of food, but they cook down considerably.
4. Stir, stir, stir! Keep the greens moving and mix them in completely with the broth and onions. If you let them sit they will start to burn on the bottom - no bueno. I usually use two wooden spoons to do this. It will be difficult to keep everything in the pan until they cook down a bit, but I know you can do it ;)
5. Add your spices in at this point. I like a ton of fresh pepper and garlic powder, but you can use anything you like! Keep stirring to incorporate the spices so you get them in every tasty bite!
6. That's all there is to it! Eat and enjoy :) This time I paired them with garlic and rosemary roasted potatoes. Yum.